Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Creative Space

I've wanted to make myself a quilt for years but there have been a few reasons why I haven't.

1. Until 2 years ago I didn't really sew, well not since my teens anyway
2. I had no idea what to do
3. Chosing fabric is really really hard

....BUT.....

Now I have the fabric I want. Funny thing is that if you had suggested I make a quilt out of these colours 2 years ago I would have said "NO WAY, Yuck". Now however my taste in colour has completely changed. No longer do I like just Autumn colours, I have a love affair with bright summery colours. I would have rainbows all over the house if I could.

Here's a peek at some of the fabrics I have chosen for my quilt.



Now time to decide on a pattern. I'm actually thinking I will just cut big squares and sew it all together....or maybe get some more solid colours to go between the big squares. I have a 15" square I have permately LOL borrowed from my Mum so I was thinking this size....hmmm not sure.

What do you think? Pattern suggestions much appreciated.

For more creative spaces pop on on over to Kirsty's

8 comments:

Anne (I should be sleeping) said...

Pattern choice is hard for me as I'm just a newbie quilter too.
Big squares could be cool - but also big triangles might be cool!
Have a look at 'Goddess In Progress Quilts' (google it, sorry I don't know how to put a link in a comment!) and look for her triangle quilts within the last week or so.

Good luck deciding!

Sally said...

I am yet to make a quilt myself so I don't really feel qualified to give advice... other than keep it simple - let your fabrics do the talking! You have choosen great fabrics. Gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

Pattern choice is precisely why I have never started a quilt. Maybe white or grey between the squares to make them pop out?

SewSofie said...

Im loving those fabrics! They remind me of Morocco. I used a Kaffe Fassett pattern and made this cushion.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aKG3Bcfvd9Y/S58I32-9oWI/AAAAAAAAABk/rchmKDHeEh0/s1600-h/DSCF3566.JPG
I think using a solid colour between those fabrics would look fantastic.

Kate said...

They look like great quilt fabrcs but I'm afraid I have never made a quilt so what would I know.
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with though.

Bee said...

Hi, I love the fabrics but also suggest plains in colours will make it pop out. I have , somewhere, a pattern to make a quilt with both swuares and rectangles , looks hard but isn't . That was very good of your mother to LOAN you her precious square. LOve you Mother

Sarah@Dolls And Daydreams said...

I love the fabrics you have found, i bet it will look fab! Good luck, let us all see the finished quilt in all it's glory!!! x

Renee said...

Nice colours! Isn't it funny how quickly and how much our tastes change over time.